Monday, August 29, 2011

Tree Tops


I spent last weekend up north at my family's cabin in the northwoods in Michigan. The cabin itself is pretty luxurious as cabins go--2 bedrooms, kitchen, electricity & running water with a generator. And 20 acres of very quiet, peaceful forest. Come November, my sister and her son will be stalking the property in hopes of finding deer to shoot. But during the summer it is a place of tranquility and relaxation. I don't get to go very often, as I live 6.5 hours away, but it was a real treat to spend some time there.

I spent Saturday afternoon sitting high in a tower which is, in the fall, a hunting blind. You sit in a small chair and there are long narrow windows from which to look out on the world from your tree top perch. I chose this spot for its unique perspective, and to be honest, because it was the last place on earth anyone would think to look for me.

Of course eventually hunger and dying light drove me from my treetop refuge, and responsibilities compelled me to come back home and face life again. But oh, I would have stayed, if only I could. I definitely would have stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 " You're gonna ruin it ."  Those 4 little words are the artist's constant companion as they work. It tends to happen towa...