Tuesday, February 2, 2010

- The journey begins

A friend brought me a blank book from his trip to China. Its covers are hand painted silk, and its pages accordian fold, so you could stretch it all the way open if you wanted. It was too pretty to actually write in, so I put it on a shelf--for 2 years.
 
But I finally have an idea for my beautiful Chinese silk book; it will become a sketch journal. The point is to sketch things/places that I visit, to help hold memories for me. The point is NOT to create masterpieces; each sketch takes maybe 10-15 minutes. Though, I am hoping that my 'quick sketch' abilities improve as I go along.

I want to cultivate the habit of sketching on location more often. I love plein aire painting, even though I'm not very good at it! So hoping that practice makes perfect, I will be working on using my sketchbooks and travel paint sets on a regular basis to capture memories of days, times, and places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 " You're gonna ruin it ."  Those 4 little words are the artist's constant companion as they work. It tends to happen towa...